Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Chocolate. Banana. Bread. Do I need to say more? Banana bread is amazing. Chocolate is awesome. Add these two things together and you get something super awesome. This might be my third banana recipe I’ve posted. But I keep buying more bananas then we end up eating them. And there are only so many ways to use super ripe bananas. While I originally was going to share Lavender Latte Macaroons with you today, I think this totally needed to be pushed forward. (Don’t worry these are coming soon, after peach season). This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is seriously a great quick bread that is sinfully simple to make and sinfully delicious.
Coffee is the best friend of chocolate. They do amazing things for each other. I used Instant Espresso Powder for this recipe since I ran out of coffee extract. To make coffee extract, grab a 16 oz mason jar and add 1/4 cup coarse ground coffee and 1.5 cups vodka, shake and let it sit for 1 hour to 3 days before straining.
I admit, white chocolate chips might not have been the best choice for the topping because they took on a burnt look. I used them because it’s what I had. Don’t go out of your way to buy white chocolate chips for this, you can use any chocolate chip. I do like the sweetness that they add because the dark chocolate chips and dark chocolate powder I used do give this bread a level of bitterness.
My bananas were also living in the fridge since they hit ripeness before I was ready to bake them. So I ended up tossing them in the same bowl as the butter when I stuck it in the microwave. This melted the butter, and made the bananas a little more intense because they were warmed up quickly.
Part of my quarantine research and pastime is to make cocktails. Since quarantine stated I’ve perfected a Key Lime Margarita and flirted with an Old Fashion and romanced a Gin and Tonic. This week, I have been working on Egg White Whiskey Sours, leaving me with a handful of egg yolks that I feel bad throwing away. So I tossed an extra egg yolk into this recipe hoping for a richer flavor and to use the whole egg. I really enjoyed the richness this added.
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Dutch Process or Dark Cocoa
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 Bananas Mashed
- 1/4 cup Butter, Unsalted
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar Dark Brown suggested but light brown works
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pouch Instant Espresso Powder or 1 tsp coffee extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a bread loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, oil, vanilla extract, and mix to combine. Mix in brown sugar.
- Sift Baking Soda, Cocoa Powder, salt and flour into banana mixture. Mix to combine.
- Mix in dark chocolate chips to bread dough and pour into prepared bread pan.
- Sprinkle white chocolate chips across the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until toothpick/knife comes out clean when inserted.
- Cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before turning out onto a cooling wack.
For more recipes, make sure to check out my recipe index.
If you like the recipes that I’m making, please make sure to support Baking In Bucks on Patreon.
This post contains affiliated links. In the event you buy the item linked, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.