I should have joined the Instant Pot Party way sooner then Quarantine 2020. I am simply loving making things in my Instant Pot Ultra. Yogurt making has been a fun and interesting journey. The first batch came out way too thin, the second batch was just messy but this recipe was so easy, minimal mess, and perfectly thick and creamy.
The first two batches were attempts at making Greek Yogurt. I used 2% milk and was disappointed with the result. This batch I used whole milk, minimally pasteurized from one of the local farms. I try to cook with things that I eat, but changing up to whole milk gave me the results I was looking for.
French Potted Yogurt is traditionally made in little glass jars with minimal high-quality ingredients, often in small batches. The yogurt is then enjoyed in the jar it was cultured in. French Potted Yogurt is available at the supermarket, Oui is a popular brand. Additionally, you can buy lids for Oui jars and use them in making your own yogurt.
Special Equipment Needed
Jars – I ordered these 7 oz jars. They hold closer to 6.5 oz when filled to the top. I fill them to 6 oz. Seven of these fit comfortably in my instant pot. I also use one 4 oz Mason jar that sits on top of the larger jars. This 4 oz jar is important because this becomes the starter for the next batch.
Instant Pot Ultra– I have the 6-quart version of this. Anything smaller, and it’s just my rice cooker, anything larger and its overkill for two people. If you have a larger family, the 8 quart will be ideal for everything your family needs.
Instant Pot French Style Potted Yogurt
- Instant Pot Ultra
- 7 – 7 oz jars
- 1 – 4 oz Mason Jar
- 46 oz Whole Milk (5 3/4 cup)
- .33 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Yogurt Starter Store bought plain yougurt with active cultures is fine.
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Water
- In the Instant Pot on BOIL or Saute Setting, bring whole milk and sugar to 180 degrees.
- Cool milk to 110-115 degrees, remove 1 cup of milk, and mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt starter together. Combine with the rest of the milk and mix in vanilla extract.
- Pour yogurt into 4oz. Divide remaining yogurt into seven 7oz jars.
- Clean the Instant Pot insert and put a trivet in the bottom of the insert. Return to Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water into bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place jars in the Instant Pot with 4 oz jar on top.
- Remove the silicone sealing ring from Instant Pot lid before closing the instant pot. Set Instant Pot Yogurt for 8-12 hours depending on how tangy of yogurt you enjoy. Move yogurt to the fridge and enjoy it.